FB

Tino Katsande ,boyfriend in court over abuse case


Pissed off. Tinopona Katsande vows to take the fight against gender-based violence further, beyond her case (File photo).FUNGAIFOTO | INONZI MEMORY

Well-known actress and ZiFM DJ, Tinopona Katsande and her now ex-boyfriend Brian, appeared in court in Harare this morning (November 12, 2012), after the former filed charges of physical abuse against the latter.
Katsande became a household name in Zimbabwe around 2005 when she appeared in the country's first soap opera as the fiesty and unstoppable Joyce Huni. She went on to act in several plays and is now a popular daily voice on Zimbabwe's airwaves in her role as one of the anchors' of ZiFM's breakfast show.
Katsande’s report is that on Sunday, November 11, 2012, boyfriend Brian physically attacked her, leaving her with bruises, uprooted hair, chipped teeth and red, swollen eyes.

Speaking to Zimbo Jam just before she went into court this morning Katsande said that Brian is claiming that he just slapped her. “My now-ex-boyfriend is telling people that he just slapped me and that I did the rest of the damage to myself. How absurd is that?

Yesterday morning, Katsande poured out her heart about the incident on the ZiFM breakfast show, raising the ire of fans across the country.

Then yesterday afternoon, she release a statement to the media where she outlined the details of her abuse:

“On Sunday the 11th of November 2012, I joined an alarming and ever increasing number of women who are victims of gender-based violence (GBV) in Zimbabwe.
I speak to you now with chipped teeth, bruised ribs, swollen face, blood shot eyes, patches of uprooted hair from the pulling and a heavy heart BUT, I will also hasten to say that I write this statement because I’m alive. I’m a survivor but unfortunately that can’t be said for a lot of women.

I’m not an exception, I have unfortunately become the norm. According to the 2005/6 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey (ZDHS) nearly 6 in every 10 women surveyed reported having experienced some violence perpetrated against them.”

I want to thank everyone who is standing by me during this terrible time but I also ask you to not make it only about Tino.

We are on the precipice of the beginning of the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence. Let’s band together and SAY NO TO VIOLENCE. Some people keep telling me not to talk about it. Some said keep it at home and ma domestic.Someone even said, ‘Chakafukidza dzimba matenga’ and I must keep it quiet. I will not keep quiet, I will never keep quiet."

Source: ZimboJam

No comments:

| Copyright © 2013 Zimbabwe 24 Seven News